If you are planning to install a ducted air conditioning system in your Ocean Isle NC home, there are various things you have to consider. One of the important elements is choosing the right filter to use in the system. Other factors likely to influence your final choice includes:
- Your Budget
- The cooling capacity and layout of your home
- Noise levels of the new system
- Who best to install your new system
- Maintenance requirements
Find the Right Cooling Capacity for your Ducted Air Conditioning System
The cooling capacity of your ducted air conditioning system will determine the size system you will need to cool your home. They generally range from 10 KWh to 27 Kwh and can be designed to distribute air into all the rooms.
Some of the factors that are used to determine the cooling capacity of an air conditioning system include:
- The total size of the rooms you want to cool
- Whether or not some parts of your house are shaded to reduce temperatures
- The peak temperatures the Ocean Isle NC area obtains during summer
Today’s best air conditioners use 30% to 50% less energy to produce the same amount of cooling as air conditioners made in the mid 1970s. Even if your air conditioner is only 10 years old, you may save 20% to 40% of your cooling energy costs by replacing it with a newer, more efficient model.
Proper sizing and installation are key elements in determining air conditioner efficiency. A unit that is too large will not adequately remove humidity. A unit that is too small will not be able to attain a comfortable temperature on the hottest days. Improper unit location, lack of insulation, and improper duct installation can greatly diminish efficiency.
If you hire a ducted air conditioning professional like A+ Heating, Cooling – Electrical, then he will assist you to achieve the correct cooling capacity for your home. Understand one important fact – a cooling capacity that seems too small is likely to overload your system and cause problems.
Ask About Noise Levels in Your Ducted Air Conditioning System
Because your ducted air conditioning system will be running throughout a large portion of the year, it is crucial that you select one that will create the least amount of noise as possible. As you discuss various options available with one of our sales representatives, search for premium ducted air conditioning systems that produce less noise.
Look for Compliance with SEER Guidelines
SEER is a measure of the total heat removed from a space in Btu during the annual cooling season divided by electric energy consumed in watts–per-hour. SEER is designed to account for typical variations in outdoor temperature during the year. The number is higher than EER and it is used for units 10 tons and under, so this is the rating that is typically used for residential HVAC units.
Any system A+ Heating, Cooling – Electrical installs meets or exceeds U.S. standards for SEER ratios.
Insist on Professional Installation
As mentioned earlier, ducted air conditioning systems can be installed into various home layouts and designs. However, if they are not installed correctly, they are likely to be more harmful than beneficial.
When installing a new ducted air conditioning system, be sure that your contractor does the following:
- Allows adequate indoor space for the installation, maintenance, and repair of the new system, and installs an access door in the furnace or duct to provide a way to clean the evaporator coil.
- Uses a duct-sizing methodology such as the Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA) Manual D.
- Ensures there are enough supply registers to deliver cool air and enough return air registers to carry warm house air back to the air conditioner.
- Installs duct work within the conditioned space, not in the attic, wherever possible.
- Seals all ducts with duct mastic and heavily insulates attic ducts.
- Locates the condensing unit where its noise will not keep you or your neighbors awake at night, if possible.
- Locates the condensing unit where no nearby objects will block airflow to it.
- Verifies that the newly installed air conditioning unit has the exact refrigerant charge and airflow rate specified by the manufacturer.
- Locates the thermostat away from heat sources, such as windows or supply registers.
- If you are replacing an older or failed split system, be sure the evaporator coil is replaced with a new one that exactly matches the condenser coil in the new condensing unit. (The air conditioner’s efficiency will likely not improve if the existing evaporator coil is left in place; in fact, the old coil could cause the new compressor to fail prematurely.)
To obtain the maximum energy efficiency and cooling effect from your ducted air conditioning system, you need to hire a professional to install it for you. As you investigate the purchase of your new air conditioner, make sure you hire competent professionals who will install it for you. This will help you obtain the maximum benefit from your air conditioner. An example of this would be a company like A+ Heating, Cooling – Electrical.
We have employed a team of qualified technicians who will help you install and maintain ducted air conditioning in your home.
Learn About Maintenance Requirements
Every ducted air conditioning system should be checked and serviced at least once per year by a qualified technician to help keep it running smoothly and efficiently. However, the new ducted air conditioning system should have ways you can do some of the maintenance on your own to enhance its efficiency and performance and cut down on maintenance costs.
For example, one of the most important maintenance tasks that will ensure the efficiency of your air conditioner is to routinely replace or clean its filters. Clogged, dirty filters block normal airflow and reduce a system’s efficiency significantly. With normal airflow obstructed, air that bypasses the filter may carry dirt directly into the evaporator coil and impair the coil’s heat-absorbing capacity. Replacing a dirty, clogged filter with a clean one can lower your air conditioner’s energy consumption by 5% to 15%.
Some types of filters are reusable; others must be replaced. They are available in a variety of types and efficiencies. Clean or replace your air conditioning system’s filter or filters every month or two during the cooling season. Filters may need more frequent attention if the air conditioner is in constant use, is subjected to dusty conditions, or you have fur-bearing pets in the house.
Before you purchase a ducted air conditioner, always examine the kind of maintenance required to keep it operating optimally and efficiently.
Ducted Air Conditioning System Conclusion
A good ducted air conditioner will keep your home cool for many years. Before you make your final purchasing decision, you should determine the type of ducted air conditioning system that is right for your home. Hopefully we have provided some valuable information in this article about purchasing the right ducted air conditioning system that you need to know to make an intelligent buying decision.
Our cooling systems specialists at A+ Heating & Cooling – Electrical will be happy to help you determine whether a ducted air conditioning system is the best HVAC system for your house and your lifestyle. Call A+ Heating, Cooling & Electrical in Southport NC today at 910-754-2200, or contact us now and someone will contact you as quickly as possible to answer any questions you may have about cooling your Ocean Isle NC home this summer.